Tweet Me!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Rest in peace . . . maybe?

So here's what we WON'T be doing . . . Taking pictures of dead loved ones and posting them on social media for the world to see.


I understand that death is a part of life. I have zero fear of it. When I was a kid, my grandmother lived across from a gorgeous cemetery. Some little girls have their weddings planned from A to Z. I had my funeral and headstone planned. So death does not scare me one bit.
I spend inordinate amounts of time on Facebook. I like to keep up with friends and family and share laughs and all that jazz. I'm scrolling down my timeline one day and I see a picture that struck me as odd as hell. Was this a picture of a person sleeping? Ok, that's mildly funny. If the person had their mouth open and/or had a mustache drawn on, it may have been really funny. But no. This wasn't a normal slumber. THIS was a dirt nap. Like, knocked out, down for the count, deader than a doornail -- DEAD.


Perhaps YOU can help me to understand what the hell would possess a person with any sort of logical sense to just up and take pictures of the dead. Who are you showing them to? Why do they want to see them? I mean, I always giggled when people went up to the deceased and gave the body a once-over and said things like, "She sure looks nice. Just like she's sleeping." or "She looks just like herself," or, and even better, "This is the best she's ever looked!" Well then. I've said all of them. But what I didn't do was whip out my digital camera and make sure to capture with the accuracy of 16 megapixels, to be disseminated amongst others. What do you even label that album on Facebook? Where do those pictures go in the family album?

Here's the deal, if you take pictures of me at my funeral, I promise I will come back and haunt you, Thriller style. I will come back as a well-dressed, dancing zombie and I will scare the living hell out of you. This, I promise you.

I'm also tired of seeing the deceased immortalized on t-shirts, keychains, bumper stickers, and car windows. Who said this was ok? More than disrespectful, it's tacky as hell. So please, in your grief, do not go to Cafepress or Zazzle and get anything made up in remembrance of me or anyone else.


1 comment:

  1. I saw a picture on FB of someones mom who had died a couple of days before her latest grandchild was born and in the picture one of her offspring was holding up a cell phone with the babies picture on the screen next to the deceased womans face in the casket...o_O No!

    ReplyDelete